“These ideas, that are driving AlphaGo, are gonna drive our future. This is it folks!”
- AlphaGo movie trailer
Igo Math - Natural and Artificial Intelligence and the Game of Go
This course is offered as MAT230 at Akita International University, launched in the winter semester in January 2019. It is a course designed for
- explaining Artificial Intelligence in depth by focusing on a single application, the game of Go;
- improving metacognition and decision making skills by drawing parallels between artificial and natural intelligence;
- enhancing emotional intelligence and mental resilience by playing the game.
For semesters when the course is not offered, Lunchtime Igo is an opportunity to learn and play the game.
- lecture notes preliminary and partial notes, constantly updated,
- game related sample test questions
- example essays for writing assignments Igo and Me, AIs and Me, My learning method,
- Tsumego (Go puzzle) collections, when in doubt, start with the elementary collection
- Game record sheet for 9x9,
- 81 Little Lions: An Introduction to the 9x9 Board for Advanced Beginners
- Crazy Nines (video series) - Tips, tricks and techniques on the 9x9 by top OGS players zhu98 and mark5000
- OGS Online Go server for playing with humans and bots. For AIU students: please join this group.
- Sabaki - Go board and SGF editor
- GnuGo A classic engine often used for benchmarking. Windows version
- Pachi Another now classic engine using Monte-Carlo tree search. Also, Michi, minimalistic version for educational purposes, and similarly Nochi a minimal AlphaGo Zero clone.
- Leela a strong engine with an GUI suitable for self-study.
- Leela Zero superhuman engine modelled after AlphaGo Zero. It is THE tool for AI analysis, either using Sabaki, or Lizzie.
Go Teaching Videos (external sources)
Michael Redmond 9p
Math & Computing videos (external sources)